Saturday, July 13, 2013

Me as a Malaysian Muslim in Korea

Assalamualaikum
Hi everyone!!
It's been almost a month(?) since I last updated anything on my blog
I want to say I'm busy but I think I'm lazy is the right word for it.


If you're a follower of my instagram, you can see that I'm actually is having a lot of fun here in Korea with my classmates but that is not the true case of it.
I find myself being very scared about going back to the old me, which I've actually talked it out with Arina.
It is negative because the old me is someone who forgets Him most of the time and rely on mortals for my happiness and joy in life. oh the dramatic words I choose :P

Anyway, yes I am very happy here, I am happy to learn about other cultures here as well, and sometimes hear people talk in a lot of languages I can't understand.
I am in Language Education Institute here which have a lot of students from different countries. I didn't came here after receiving scholarship from any institutes from Malaysia, so I'm not exactly surrounded by Malaysians.
There are goods and bads of it though.
Good is that I am able to understand different races and culture all over the world, while the cons are that I am not used to this. I'm used to having Malay, or maybe Muslim around me that I don't have to explain to them why I don't drink (alcohol), why I don't eat meat or why I don't eat pork but having to explain to them about why and having another example of someone of the same religion but have different views of what a muslim can and can't do is not that easy.
However, I'm not in any way condemning my friend about it, it's just that different people from different country, despite being of the same religion, they have different views of things, that's where mazhab comes in.

Being a muslim who can't eat pork or meat (halal ones only), that doesn't mean I don't follow my friends around here when they go eat or something.
I do follow them but with an option to have seafood as my dish, which is not really an option for me since I have an allergic but I have to. InsyaAllah everything will be fine if I eat my meds afterwards.


It would be a lie if the fried chicken they have doesn't tempt me, it does, a lot but kuatkan iman, ingat even if orang lain tak tahu, Allah tahu. It wasn't easy, not at first, and not now as well but insyaAllah you'll get through it, and you'll get used to it.
Having an ellergy is an excused I always use to explain why I can't eat it, because, I do have an ellergy for beef and chicken.
Because of my high uric acid, I can't take beef since gout is something very common on my dad's side (hikmah tak makan daging dah dijumpai kt Korea :)) and mom said I can't eat chicken because of my resdung (my nose gets very itchy after eating one).

I do see a lot of Malays at LEI and the thing I like about it is the fact that when I see them, a simple 'ASSALAMUALAIKUM' between all of us despite not knowing each other is more than enough to bring smiles to our face.
Admittedly, they are very young, and they're always in a group of people, so it makes me who's kind of an introvert feels a bit shy to talk to them but they always gives their salam to me and that makes me feel proud of myself as a Malaysian.
I am so much thankful about the fact that one of them, Asilah always helps me with questions and she also introduced me to Kak Attiya. Even if I don't have a lot of malay friends here, insyaAllah with Asilah and Kak Attiya's help, I will gain more and more friends here.

About getting halal foods, I usually either go down to Itaewon to buy food at the foreign mart where they sell halal chicken and beef. You can find santan here as well!! whee!! Thank you Izyanaa for bringing me here :)
And thank you my dear Reef for introducing Izyanaa to me dear.
Or you can always order online from Expatmart or indianshopkorea if you don't have any time to go to Itaewon.
I've done both options and here's my point of view.
Going by feet to Itaewon would take a lot of time for you, but I think it saves you lots of money considering the fact that the chicken meat I bought at the market there was a lot compared to the one I bought from expatmart.
But ordering online saves you time but you have to spend a lot of money on it. Unless your order exceed 70,000 won, you'll have to pay 3,00 won for the delivery charges to your house.
I will still go for both options taking in account of my time and money.

Thank you mom, dad, and siblings for all the food delivered to me from Malaysia!!
It helps me a lot in preparation for Ramadhan here!
I was a lot nervous about spending my Ramadhan here alone but getting this delivery from dad makes me very happy!

I am very happy about Asilah always remembers to invite me to any iftar with her, so insyaAllah will follow her next week :)
So this is all the update from me.
Assalamualaikum :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shiema, were you a student in SNU LEI? If so, I would love to get some advice from you as I plan to enter the winter programme. Please do email me at sheauwen_foo@yahoo.com . I would love to hear from you soon. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shiema, were you a student in SNU LEI? If so, I would love to get some advice from you as I plan to enter the winter programme. Please do email me at sheauwen_foo@yahoo.com . I would love to hear from you soon. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mcm mana awk smbong study kat korea?? Perlu ambik SAT ke?? Pls reply me hehe .. Saya bru habis spm thun lps

    ReplyDelete