Sunday, September 22, 2013

Being alien

Assalamualaikum
So I cheated the date again yesterday while updating the blog post about letting go
Anyways, this time I'm going to talk about being alien.
So in Korea, you call foreigners as 외국인 and 외국인 also means alien
and when you're a foreigners here and you need to get the identification card, it's called "Alien Registration Card (ARC)"


And once, while playing games of...... I don't really know what it's called but basically you need to brag about what you've done and if the person u ask never did that, you'll get a marble from them and the ones who have the most of it wins and well, I'm kinda cheeky in this one game, my question was,

1) Have u fly before?
2) Have u seen an alien before?

So the first one refers to where I tried flying fox before and I think I was 16 or something and I played it while lying down(?) but well, some thing like Superman and it counted as flying.
And the second one actually do refers to us all foreigners in the class but no one thought of it exact for my friend, Kobe and I ended up winning the game /wiggles eyebrows/

But actually in Korea, you can feel like an alien especially when you don't have the "typical asian" look. You need to understand what "typical asian look" meant to understand what I mean.
You don't get stared at that much if you're talking in Korean and actually does look asian, you know how people stereotype 'asian' as those who have small eyes, fair skin and, I don't know what else.
You do get stared at if you're talking in english, chinese, malay or well, any language besides Korean language that is.

But you get stared at more if you don't look asian at all, and when you're wearing a hijab.
Just know that what I'm writing doesn't represent the whole Koreans in a whole but just those who I've encountered so far.

In Malaysia, there are still Muslim people who doesn't understand why we NEED to wear Hijab, so for someone who's not a muslim, it would still be a bit hard for them to understand why.
Some of the ajussi and ajumma here ask me the normal question, "Aren't you hot?" and my normal answer would be, "It's ok, I'm used to it. Malaysia is summer everyday anyway."
and some of them would sometimes ask me, "You don't have to wear it, you can open it (hijab). No one will catch you and no one will know even if you open it."
and I just answer "The God (Allah) sees everything" 
Maybe I should explain more to them when I say those things but usually to someone who I met while passing by, I don't explain to them more about it but to someone who I met like maybe twice a month because I always eat at their store or something, I do try to explain as much as I know about my religion.
They're asking not with the intention to degrade my religion but because they really want to know.
And I don't mind explaining as well.

And here, the ajumma and ajussi and kids, will stare at you a lot.
The ajumma and ajussi will keep on staring at me, especially when I'm walking home alone until I greet them.
When I'm with friends, they don't stare at me that much.
The kids, they do stare at me a lot. One kid practically walked backwards after I pass him by just to stare at me. Imagine me greeting them, some of them actually goes "daebak!!!", at least that's what my friend told me when I walk in front of her.
And while going home with my friend, some of the middle-school student was having their recess time I guess and were gathering around and we were on our way home and all of them are throwing out all the english words they know to us, well at least they didn't curse.
We heard things like, "hey what's up?", "hey bro?", "yo bro!" it was so funny but kinda annoying as well.

So yeah, you do get to feel how special you are here
You do feel alienated here with how much they stare at you.
The tip is, when they stare at you, there's 2 reason for it,

1) because you're weird
2) because you're too pretty

Just pick the 2nd one all the time and you can't help but to smile at it
Ok that's not a form of bragging, but thinking that way is always better than thinking that you're weird.

Assalamualaikum :)

2 comments:

  1. Assalamualaikum. Wanna ask sumting. Are u still studying korean language in SNU? Actually i am planning to go there.. Do u go there with your own fund or scholarship?

    ReplyDelete